Global Roots Play School Needs
- High-quality stroller, suitable for a toddler
- Two new or “like new” couches from pet-free and smoke-free homes
- One new or “like new” large electric (countertop) pressure cooker
- One new or “like new” crib mattress
- One new stovetop pressure cooker
If you are able to donate any of these items, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please inquire before purchasing new items. Many thanks!
Ithaca Welcomes Refugees is seeking a Board Treasurer to work with a vibrant and diverse volunteer team. Responsibilities listed below.
- Attend IWR Board Meetings.
- Spearhead budget development and planning.
- Improve and maintain internal controls & oversee bookkeeper(s).
- Improve systems for tracking expenses, ensuring appropriate checks and balances.
- Maintain separation of duties so that no single person can handle every stage of a transaction.
- Ensure sufficient documentation for transactions.
- Ensure donations are tracked and tax receipts issued in a timely manner.Prepare timely financial reports.
- Prepare, review and submit required filings accurately and on-time.
- Oversee tracking volunteer time in collaboration with IWR Operations Team Leader for grant reporting, project planning, & budgeting (GiveGab online volunteer management)
- Work with IWR Team Leaders to identify and manage risk.
- Build institutional knowledge & resiliency.
If you are interested in joining the IWR Board, please send a brief statement of interest to email@example.com. For questions, contact Board Chair Julie Petrie at 347-448-1401.
Community Welcoming Team Leader
Ithaca Welcomes Refugees is seeking a committed volunteer to serve as Community Welcoming Team Leader. The Community Welcoming Team Leader coordinates IWR’s post-arrival direct services with recently arrived refugee individuals/families or at-risk immigrants. The CWT Team Leader oversees Response Projects, which are supportive activities tailored to the needs of individuals/families. The CWT Team Leader role includes:
- Head of the Community Welcoming Team Leadership Group – including Response Team Coordinators, Volunteer Coordinator, Referral Specialist, Interpreter Coordinator, and Drivers Lead.
- Organizes regular meetings of the Leadership Group.
- Recruits, trains, and supports Response Team Coordinators.
- Works with the Volunteer Coordinator to identify, interview, train, and match volunteers to individuals/families in need of support.
- Organizes Response Project volunteer orientation meetings.
- Meets regularly with other Direct Service Team Leaders (Resettlement Support Team which provides basic needs support and Global Roots Play School director) to coordinate services for shared families.
- Oversees allocation and distribution of emergency financial support for families being served through Response Projects.
- Handles Response Project volunteer appreciation activities.
IWR is seeking a volunteer to serve on the Board as Development Leader. The Development Leader will guide the IWR fundraising strategy, plan mail and web campaigns, ensure the effectiveness of fundraising events, and handle grant research and development for programs. The volunteer should have significant professional or volunteer experience with successful fundraising campaigns, activities, and/or grant proposals.
Response Team Coordinators
Ithaca Welcomes Refugees is seeking volunteers with a background in social work or a similar social services profession to serve as Response Teams Coordinators. Response Coordinators lead small teams of volunteers for direct services with recently arrived refugee individuals/families or at-risk immigrants, offering support based on close consultation with the family. Coordinators are part of the Community Welcoming Team Leadership which includes:
- Community Welcoming Team Leader- Team facilitator and support for Coordinators.
- Volunteer Coordinator- Works to identify and match volunteers with individuals/families being served.
- Referral Specialist- Helps connect individuals/families to other resources and sources of support in the community for needs beyond the scope of IWR services.
- Meets with the individual/family for a welcoming/assessment meeting to discuss strengths and needs, with an interpreter.
- Leads a Response Team of volunteers who commit to work with the family over a 6 month period on supportive action plans.
- Works with the Referral Specialist to identify and connect individuals/families to other services.
- Monitors Response Teams activities to be sure action steps are being taken, while being sensitive to family needs, strengths, availability, and empowerment.
- Offers ongoing support to Team volunteers, and participates in training and appreciation events for new volunteers.
IWR is seeking a volunteer with significant interpretation experience or training to serve as Interpreter Trainer. The role involves reviewing basic interpretation skills with new interpretation volunteers, responding to questions, and assessing the readiness of each volunteer for direct service with refugee families.
IWR is seeking a volunteer to lead and coordinate a upcoming late summer/fall event in collaboration with the refugee farming program of the Groundswell Center for Food and Farming. The Coordinator will partner with Groundswell to plan the event, guide event volunteers, and identify contributors for event activities.
Events Publicity Coordinator
IWR is seeking a volunteer to focus on advertising needs for IWR events and to identify target audiences; collaborate with key members of the Events Team and Digital Communications Team on publicity; and maintain master list of advertising locations and options. Experience with a wide range of print and digital advertising is a plus!
***If you feel your background and experience would make you a good fit for one of the above roles, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, naming the role in the subject line. Thanks for your interest and commitment to IWR’s mission!***